Hard Tail Fabric Information
- Cotton is a breathable, soft, natural vegetable fiber that provides comfort and ease of movement and when combined with the stretch and durability of Lycra it creates the perfect fabric for activewear.
- Supima® is a licensed trademark signifying 100% American Superior Pima cotton. Pima cotton is a generic name for extra-long staple cotton grown in limited regions which offers strength and fineness of the fibre compared to other cottons. Supima is the highest quality, allowing for superior softness, fineness, drapeability, strength, brilliance, in short - for more luxurious fabrics to be produced.
SEMI-SYNTHETICS : Cellulose Fiber based Fabrics:
Rayon / Viscose:
- Rayon was the first manufactured fiber. It is a transparent fiber made of processed cellulose fibers from wood or cotton. Rayon was originally named artificial silk or wood silk, but the name rayon was created in 1924. Unlike nylon, rayon absorbs water, making it more comfortable to wear as a clothing textile.
Modal / Micro Modal:
- Modal is a cellulose fiber often made from beech. It is about 50% more hydroscopic (water-absorbent) per unit volume than cotton. It takes dye like cotton and is colour-fast when washed in warm water. Textiles made from modal are smooth and soft and resistant to shrinkage and fading.
- Tencel® is a man-made biodegradable fabric from wood pulp. Similar to rayon, TENCEL is soft, absorbent, very strong when wet or dry, and resistant to wrinkles. It drapes well, can be made to simulate a variety of textures such as suede, leather and silk and dyed many colours. It generally has a blousy silky feel or a peach skin or moleskin finish.
Natual and Semi-Synthetic Fibers can be blended with Synthetics to improve functionality
SYNTHETICS: Manufactured Fibers from Synthesized Polymers (petroleum):
- Lycra (Spandex / Elastane) is a man-made fabric that stretches 5 times in length with full recovery to enhance fit and performance characteristics.
- Lycra is perfect for blending at low levels with natural fibres to increase stretch, strength and performance.
- Supplex is a Dupont certified nylon fabric which has a soft cotton-like hand with high water and wind resistant properties, high abrasion and tear resistant.
- Supplex manages moisture and keeps its vibrant colour, wash after wash.
- TACTEL® is nylon man-made fiber that is at least twice as soft and 20 percent lighter than most other fibres. It also dries eight times faster than cotton. TACTEL® fiber is also strong, enabling the production of fabrics that are three times as strong as those made with natural fibers
- Polyester is a manufactured fiber made from synthesized polymers. It tends to be very resilient, quick drying, resistant to biological damage such as mould and mildew, easy to wash and able to hold forms well.